Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : November 1, 2006

This week I’ve been digging into research for the new book. The following are a handful of the books that I’ll be re-examining over the next month or two. They give a good indication of the tack I’ll be taking in my book. Please share any books you think I should take a look at. I’m avoiding overly-academic books, because I’m trying to resist my theology-nerd tendencies in my attempt to write a more accessible book than much of what is currently offered.

The Politics of Jesus

Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony

Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination (The Powers, Vol 3)

Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire

Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelation Then and Now (Bible & Liberation Series)

Consuming Religion: Christian Faith And Practice in a Consumer Culture

Dissident Discipleship: A Spirituality of Self-Surrender, Love of God, and Love of Neighbor

The Great Giveaway: Reclaiming the Mission of the Church from Big Business, Parachurch Organizations, Psychotherapy, Consumer Capitalism, and Other Modern Maladies

Making Room: Recovering Hospitality As a Christian Tradition

The Upside-Down Kingdom

School(s) for Conversion: 12 Marks of a New Monasticism

Life on the Vine: Cultivating the Fruit of the Spirit in Christian Community

Mark Van Steenwyk is the editor of JesusManifesto.com. He is a Mennonite pastor (Missio Dei in Minneapolis), writer, speaker, and grassroots educator. He and his wife Amy have been married since 1997. They are expecting their first child in April.

Comments

10 Responses to “”

1. Corey on November 1st, 2006 12:41 pm

I haven’t read it, but Boyd’s new book “The Myth of a Christian Nation” might be helpful…

2. Van S on November 1st, 2006 1:26 pm

Perhaps I’ll take a look.

3. hermitmonk on November 2nd, 2006 1:12 am

I’ve created a small semi-eremitical skete/community 35 years ago in 3 different european countries. And, 3 years ago another on another continent (Africa). We have a moanstic list - traditional and contemporary - of more than 335 members (from different liturgical churches : RC, Orthodox and western rite Orthodox, anglican, Lutheran, independent etc). - for spirituality, prayer, interfaith meditation/centring techniques.

We have associates of the priory in several countries.

Our list is moderated by tradiitonal and lay/modern or neo-monastic at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monasterion

from
    hermitmonk and academic

4. michael on November 2nd, 2006 3:12 pm

Also:

Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, “Saving Christianity from Empire”

and

Wes Avram, ed., “Anxious About Empire”

5. Van S on November 2nd, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m actually reading Nelson-Pallmeyer’s book as well, but haven’t dug into much. The books listed above are books I’ve read and love; I am hoping to get some fresh insights and helpful bibliographical material as I re-read them.

6. Kyle on November 2nd, 2006 4:09 pm

Cavanaugh’s Theopolitical Imagination. You’ll fall in love. Also check out the archive at Catholic Anarchy. Seriously.

7. Van S on November 2nd, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks, Kyle. The book is on my list. I started reading it last year but got sidetracked with school reading and by the time I was ready to get back to it, I had to return it to the library.

8. brian on November 5th, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey, here are some of my suggestions…not sure if we have talked about these ones…

Jaque Ellul — Christian Anarchy
    Leo Tolstoy — The kingdom of God is Within
    Dorothy Day — Everything she ever said
    Ammon Hennacy — Book of Ammon; has some great examples of how this stuff really works out

9. Van S on November 6th, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks Bry Guy. I’ll check into them. I’m not familiar with Ammon Hennacy, so I’ll definitely check him out.

10. m on November 8th, 2006 8:50 pm

I found Hennacy’s book at our school’s library, after having looked for it for ages. You might also find that book under its old title “Autobiography of a Catholic Anarchist.”