Links for Your Perusal

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : January 29, 2007

Here’s a good article from the MN Daily that anyone who over-shares on their blog ought to read. I’ve definitely been guilty of that before. For extra credit, post the link anonymously on blogs that overindulge in personal information.

If you’re interested, I’ve updated the design of the Missio Dei website. I’ll be updated content this week. I’ve added a page called “West Bank Images.” Give me your honest feedback…is the faint image of Jesus in the header too cheesy?

I hate over-the-top spoof flicks. I hate teen spoof flicks even more. I’m glad that, as of the writing of this post, “Epic Movie” is getting a big fat zero percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. If you want to see a comedy, please stay home and rent Little Miss Sunshine instead.

Comments

6 Responses to “Links for Your Perusal”

1. Mike on January 29th, 2007 8:52 pm

Balance is a hard thing to achieve in blogging. Most of the time I don’t have enough detail for anyone to know what I’m posting about :)

2. Luke on January 30th, 2007 6:11 am

Honestly, not a fan of the new Missio Dei header graphic, both for the sepia and the cutout-filtered cliche Jesus. Nice West Bank Images page.

3. Anna on January 30th, 2007 7:24 am

The header is a little faint, I’ll agree, but not too cheesy.

Your neighborhood seems rather nice, Mark. I was expecting something more edgy or are those the cleanest buildings in the area? And a co-op grocery? *Sigh* I wish I were so blessed.

I live behind a McDonalds and next to a poor working class neighborhood in a shabby apartment building with mostly retired folks on Social Security or disability and young army guys. Not necessarily more holy, mind you, but certainly uglier.

4. markvans on January 30th, 2007 8:26 am

Sorry to disappoint you, Anna. My neighborhood is nice in many ways. Though that can be deceptive. Many of the buildings shown in the pictures are campus buildings. Half of the neighborhood looks really nice because of these buildings. But there are some run-down pats, mostly by Riverside Plaza (the big high-rise buildings in the pictures). Riverside Plaza is the largest subsidized housing apartments in the Twin Cities. 70% of the neighborhood is low income.

The neighborhood has its ugliness, but I don’t like showcasing that ugliness by showing pictures of how horrible the neighborhood is. I’d rather celebrate its beauty. I’m sure I’d find fundraising easier if I showed more pictures of homeless people, of trashy sidewalks, and of passed out east African youth on lawns, but I don’t have it in me to present that image to the world.

5. Anna on January 30th, 2007 8:38 am

Thank you for showing us the better portions of your neighborhood for the right reasons. :) Gives you something to work towards and add even more beauty to your surroundings.

~Anna

6. espiritu_paz on January 30th, 2007 8:43 am

Concerning the first item. Hey, maybe oversharing could be a passive aggresive way of say, critiquing your boss. :)