Collaborative Blog, anyone?

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : September 26, 2007

Is anyone interested in becoming a co-blogger on Jesus Manifesto?  I feel like I get plenty of readers, and would like to offer regular content so that readership would actually increase.  But I can only usually crank out 2 good posts a week (if that).  I’d seriously consider adding a handful more co-bloggers that are sympathetic to the general vibe and themes of this blog and are able to write something every week.

Does the idea of turning jesusmanifesto into a collaborative blog with 4 or more regular bloggers sound like a GOOD idea, or a bad one?

Am I correct in assuming that having 1-2 posts daily would increase readership?

I’m looking particularly for folks that have done blogging before on issues that fit with the overall focus of Jesus Manifesto.  If we got the right mix of bloggers, I’d also be willing to start a separate collaborative blog that allows us all to have equal ownership, and then I’d double post a lot of my content.

Comments

12 Responses to “Collaborative Blog, anyone?”

1. Beyond Words on September 26th, 2007 11:08 am

What kind of mix are you looking for? I think collaborative blogging is a great idea.

2. Miracle on September 26th, 2007 11:44 am

I would love to help provide a post a week. You can check out my writing style at my blog (my name links to it). We are also trying to do a similar thing with a blog at Ginkworld.

3. James on September 26th, 2007 12:17 pm

i used to be a big fan of collaborative blogs until i noticed that they often ended up just re-creating the wheel on a micro-network scale by simply cross-posting all over the place. it was rare that authors of personal AND collaborative blogs would only post on one or the other.

instead of creating MORE content, it just created more BUZZ - making it harder to navigate through my favorite blogs for something i hadn’t read already.

my suggestion would be to simply post more links to the kind of content you’re interested in generating. that or commissioning “exclusive” posts….

4. Brother Tadhg on September 26th, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi
    Sure, I’m very interested in the idea.
    Ciao
    Tadhg

5. Aaron Ivey on September 26th, 2007 12:51 pm

yeah - i think this is a really good idea… 1-2 posts a day definitely increases readership…

6. Ryan Wiksell on September 26th, 2007 1:26 pm

I’d be interested in contributing 2 to 4 posts per month. You can check out my blog athttp://www.thecoredowntown.com/thecoreblog.html” rel=”nofollow”> http://www.thecoredowntown.com/thecoreblog.html

I really identify with what you’re doing in MN. I am a non-denominational church planter with no Bible degrees whatsoever (just a minor in Bible) pastoring a venue-style “church” in the nightclub district of a college town.

I think it will be a good thing if it’s well-organized, and if you (Mark) take the lead in encouraging certain types of posts to be written. I think I would personally do the best if I can do a combination of self-initiated writing, and assigned writing.

Thanks for the opportunity!

7. Ryan Wiksell on September 26th, 2007 3:38 pm

sorry about the mess up there, with the linkage.

8. Daniel on September 27th, 2007 8:25 am

Mark,

I would agree that a couple of additional bloggers would increase readership. The key, I think, would be to find 3-4 others who are, in your words, “sympathetic” but who have related but distinct style and content. They should be related but distinct.

I would encourage you to go out and invite particular individuals who will add to the conversation of the blog and add readers who are “sympathetic” to you but maybe aren’t quite “in to” some of the things that you write about well.

peace, courage, joy,
    Daniel

9. Ariah Fine on September 27th, 2007 8:36 am

I’d be interested in hearing more.

10. forrest curo on September 27th, 2007 6:32 pm

I’ve been trying to do a similar thing specifically with Quakers, and the problem has been not finding enough people interested enough in keeping it going.

I would like to post here; the possible difficulty is that I’m the sort of Christian who if anyone asks me whether I’m a Christian will usually answer “What do you mean by that?”…

(If I ever find out what “being a Christian” is “supposed to” mean, I’d very much like to be that! I see a great many people who’ve become blessings in the effort, and some who’ve very publically uglified the very idea–and it isn’t necessarily a matter of historical accuracy, except for the fact that the man lived a real life & stood for something that people still instinctively know & yearn for & shy away from!

I’ve just started reading JD Crossan’s _God & Empire_, finding it, so far, right on the edge of this question of what it means to live in God’s Kingdom vs the Kingdom of GW & his accomplices & dupes. I’ll let you know if I find out; meanwhile I just go on fishing for Guidance, receiving whatever daily bread & daily inspiration I’ve needed so far. (So are we called to join some specific Way of Life, aside from that ongoing effort to keep listening & watching for further instructions?)

11. Bill Huffhine on September 28th, 2007 8:31 pm

Hey bro!

I’m not sure if I’m what you’re looking for, but I’d be happy to work with you on the Manifesto. Check out http://awaitingrain.typepad.com and if you think I may be a fit, let me know.

I’ve been enjoying your blog for several months now and would consider it an honor to contribute.

12. Kyle on October 1st, 2007 6:20 pm

Having a few different voices talk around some unified themes does make a blog more interesting. But I mostly blog about the Eucharist, new monasticism and Stan Hauerwas, and almost not at all in the last two months as I’ve finished my dissertation.

I don’t know if you’ve read any of my stuff, or just click through when I harass you here. I could contribute a fortnightly post on new monasticism or something, if you’re all hot for my particular brand of snarkiness. I like what you’re about. You know, NOT the Empire.