Missio Dei Breviary Update

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : September 2, 2007

I’m pleased that the new site for the Missio Dei Breviary is getting some use. Based upon some of the feedback I’ve received, I feed confident about going ahead with a print edition. The big obstacle for this has been the use of Scripture in the breviary. Most translations have strong restrictions upon commercial use of Scripture. Sure, you can quote the NIV, for example, in a book. But with a project that is mostly Scripture (like commentaries or the Missio Dei Breviary) you’ll have to pay a fee to use the translation. And, unfortunately, only a few Bible translations are public domain (and none of them are usable, in my opinion).

There is, however, one translation out there that I deeply appreciate: the NET Bible. The first time I found their site, I thought that it was a lame effort (like the WEB translation). By no means! The NET Bible is a solid translation, with an open-source spirit. They’ve got some impressive endorsers and desire to make their translation free for use. All it took was a quick email and they gave me the go-ahead to use their translation for commercial purposes–free of charge.

And so, in the near future, I’ll begin to replace the TNIV with the NET Bible (even though I prefer the TNIV). And soon you’ll be able to buy the Missio Dei Breviary. Of course, we’ll give you free copies if you can’t afford the Breviary. And you’ll always be able to access it for free online.

Comments

6 Responses to “Missio Dei Breviary Update”

1. Makeesha on September 2nd, 2007 4:52 pm

I’m super excited! :) Looking forward to getting a bunch of copies for Revolution. We’ve been printing out Sunday’s entry every week for use in our gathering and I’ve been using them for my personal use as well - I’m glad you found a solution for the Scripture issue. I’ve never heard of the NET Bible, that’s really cool

2. markvans on September 2nd, 2007 7:45 pm

I’m happy that you’ve appreciated it so much. Thank you for your kind words!

3. elof on September 4th, 2007 2:53 pm

Cool. Here in Sweden a community has released a project simmilar to yours. We have one foot in the traditions (orthodox, lutheran, catholic, anabaptist.. you name it:P) and one foot in the present (modern day language, gender inclusive language and the yoder/hauerwas way of thinking about the church with some influences of emergent). We have divided the prayers in themes. Morning has The Creation and its care, Day has Simplicity and Money, Evening has Community and Night has Peace and Justice.
    Would be great to get a printet copy of yours for inspiration!
    Peace

4. Makeesha on September 4th, 2007 6:09 pm

is yours in english elof? I’d love to see it.

5. elof on September 5th, 2007 9:04 am

MAKEESHA:
    na. Im afraid not. Its in swedish.. but if you like to I could send you a copy anyway (but we only have some with faulty layout left, not much just a white “border” round some of the pages). Contact me if you’re intrested.

Peace

6. Makeesha on September 5th, 2007 10:15 am

thank you Elof - but that would probably just frustrate me hehe..

but if I ever meet anyone who speaks Swedish I’ll know who to go to