The Campus Ministry Name Game

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : December 31, 2005

Well, it’s official.  I’m now a staffer with InterVarsity.  This means that Missio Dei and InterVarsity
are starting a joint campus ministry to U of M West Bank students.  The
next 6 months should be particularly interesting.  But first things
first: what should this thing be called?

To play the Campus Ministry Name Game, just submit a name
that you think would fit well for a campus ministry that is
community-focused and missional, in a diverse neighborhood.  It should
have an artistic quality, since the West Bank is home to the University
of Minnesota’s Arts Quarter.

The game ends by January 15.  The winner gets a special, surprise prize.  I promise it will be a good prize.

Comments

6 Responses to “The Campus Ministry Name Game”

1. jeff on January 1st, 2006 5:44 pm

Anything with an “X” or play on Christian words are cool.

aXis
    conneXion
    aXion
    Xylophone

Crosswalk
    crissCross
    redCross
    Sonrise
    Sonbeam

and my favorite:
    CrosseXion

2. Van S on January 1st, 2006 8:04 pm

Yes! CrosseXion!

3. Jesse Gavin on January 2nd, 2006 4:14 pm

Ok Jeff, that was eXtremely funny. I laughed out loud. But I guess that is what I should eXpect from a Xool BloX like thiX.

Jesse Gavin

4. Van S on January 3rd, 2006 1:37 am

All joking aside…I’m really leaning towards “the Jesus folk.” I know that it could be sorta lame, but it is really simple, yet has a certain quality to it that could work well for west Bank students. I don’t want something super cool or trendy, yet I don’t want something generic like “West bank student ministry” that doesn’t really communicate anything. “the Jesus folk” is unpretentious and not brand-ish, yet still has a sweet earthy quality that I dig. PLUS, thejesusfolk.com is available. In fact, I think I nab the domain name for shites and giggles, because I like it enough to use it for something else down the road even if we don’t go with the name “the Jesus folk” for our student ministry.

5. Brandon on January 4th, 2006 1:52 pm

What about just “simple folk”? That’s simple - has an anabaptist/justice/countercultural feel about it.

Nice blog by the way .. I read it often (several times a week)

6. Van S on January 5th, 2006 3:39 pm

I’m glad to know that someone out there is reading me :)
    Simple folk is good…but the clencher for me is that thejesusfolk.com is available. It is so hard to find a good domain name these days :)