50 Most Influential Churches

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : August 11, 2005

I found a link to the "50 most influential churches in America" on Todd Hobart’s blog.  They didn’t consider churches under 2000.  It is also interesting that they have the picture of each church’s senior pastor with each church.  Both of these facts say an aweful lot about North American Christianity.  HOw is this sort of exercise remotely helpful?

I’ve griped about this sort of thing in the past, so I won’t say any more.  Check it out and tell me what YOU think.

Comments

6 Responses to “50 Most Influential Churches”

1. Michelle on August 11th, 2005 1:59 pm

I felt like I was looking at the Electoral College. Kel and I took our honeymoon in TX and they have billboards all over with chruch advirtisments and they always included a picutre of the pastor. Just like someone running for office. We kept laughing and planned on attending the chruch with the best looking Pastor.

2. snakeface on August 11th, 2005 2:46 pm

Dude, its another tool used to draw peeps to church. I like the simple way, I’d like to think its the best way, how can I market it? Christ is preached in vain, not only in my favorite country, but in other cultures too. I can’t critic the megachurches too much without looking at my motives first. However, I am amazed my homie Greg Boyd was not mentioned. GO BLUE!!!

3. Chris on August 12th, 2005 1:28 am

Why would you expect there to be a church of less than 2000 in a list of the 50 most influential churches? I can’t imagine a church of 80-100 or even 200-300 people having nearly the influence that a mega-church does. I don’t think their influence is entirely bad either (e.g. #12’s generous support to familiar fledgling church plants), nor do I think it’s indicative of arrogance/self-aggrandizement when a pastor/church leader puts his mug on display (e.g. posters, flyers, websites, etc.)

4. Van S on August 12th, 2005 1:34 am

There are a number of churches under 2000 that have had a big influence. But it is true that the VERY large churches tend to have large influence. But I think it has more to do with the regional and national attention they get, more than their local attention. Not all of the attention is bad, but it is certainly a mixed bag. I think the fact there is even a list like this tells us alot about American Christianity.

5. graham on August 12th, 2005 6:58 am

Loads of churches under 2000 are hugely influential, Chris.

Church of the Savior in Washington D.C. is/was just one example.

6. Michelle on August 12th, 2005 8:24 pm

But why should the head pastors picture be included? What purpose does it serve?
    It seems to me in Minnesota more than other places that I have lived that people are prone to say “I attend Piper’s chruch, or Boyd’s chruch.” Above even the chruch name, and that gives me a sinking feeling. Kind of like 1 cor. 3:2-5 I also feel like the article in a way suggests that the only way to leave your mark for Christ is by aspiring for Mega-chruch hood. I don’t buy that.