StrengthsFinder

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : July 20, 2005

Though I am not usually a fan of personality tests, one that I really see alot of strength in is StrengthsFinder by Gallup.  My friend Joseph Dworak has done alot of interpreting of people’s Strengths.  He is currently analyzing me on his blog.  I heartily encourage those of you who know me in the flesh to check out his analysis and chime in. It would really help me to understand how I can best utilize my strengths.  Check out Joe’s read of me here.

Here are my Strengths:

Strategic
Communication
Input
Activator
Command

Comments

8 Responses to “StrengthsFinder”

1. Chris on July 21st, 2005 2:50 pm

Remind me again, which quadrant are all of your strengths in, and what are the four quadrants again?

2. Van S on July 21st, 2005 4:46 pm

I think they are:

1)working harder strengths
    2)working smarter strengths
    3)helping others strengths
    4)impacting/influencing

Here’s where my strengths fall:

Strategic: working smarter
    Communication: influencing
    Input: working smarter
    Activator: working harder
    Command: influencing

3. JustinG on July 21st, 2005 10:56 pm

So you do a lot of influential (2) work that is smart (2) with a little bit of hard work (1) on the side?

Do you know the rest of your list, or atleast the top ten, yet or do you have to wait until you graduate (as I did)?

One would think that having some helping others strengths close to the top would be something that would make a good pastor/leader?

4. Van S on July 22nd, 2005 12:08 am

I know 4 other themes that are in my top “9″:

Competition
    Woo
    Context
    Connectedness

Yeah, I think some strengths lend themselves more towards pastoral leadership. I think mine are more oriented towards missional type leadership than nurturing leadership. It is a good thing that my wife has strengths like Empathy and Developer.

What are yours, Justin? I’m really curious…

5. JustinG on July 22nd, 2005 8:55 am

You married type are lucky because you have two sets of strengths to work with :)
    I will have to look for my list because I took it twice and they gave me a list of my strengths from 1st to 34th after graduation.

6. JustinG on July 22nd, 2005 10:13 am

I found my list(s) of strengths.

My top 5 strengths (with quadrants in parentheses) are as follows:

(fall 2002)
    Adaptability (working harder)
    Connectedness (working smarter)
    Restorative (working harder)
    Responsibility (assisting people)
    Harmony (assisting people)

(spring 2003)
    Remained the same except that restorative and responsibility were replaced by developer (influencing people) and input (working smarter) which were #9 and #7 respectively on my original list

My lack of strengths in the working smarter quadrant was a contributing factor to my movement out of the Christian Thought program.

7. Matt Van Steenwyk on July 22nd, 2005 2:50 pm

The results from taking the Strength Finder Test show that my top five strengths are:

Discipline
    Ideation
    Futuristic
    Communication
    Activator

Interesting… Twins with totally different strengths.

8. Van S on July 22nd, 2005 2:55 pm

Not TOTALLY different. It is interesting that we both have activator and communication. That means we both like to express ourselves and are both impatient. That sounds right… “go go”.

I think it is interesting that you have discipline. I don’t have much of that at all :) That is why you were always a better worker than me ;)