If you’re interested…

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : March 7, 2008

Shane Claiborne is speaking at Bethel University Monday night (March 10) at 7:30pm. I’m going to be a part of a panel conversation, along with: Dr. Tim Essenberg (Bethel University / Banyan Community in South Minneapolis), Sandra Mayes Unger (The Lift CDC in St. Paul), and Neeraj Mehta (The Sanctuary Community Development Corporation in North Minneapolis).

I feel a bit out of my element with this thing. The whole focus is community development, and the three other communities are community development corporations. Missio Dei has never thought of itself that way. I hope I don’t come across like a big tool.

Go here for more information.

Comments

6 Responses to “If you’re interested…”

1. Jonathan Brink on March 7th, 2008 11:26 am

Perhaps that’s why they invited you Mark, because you offer a different perspective on the whole thing. You are trying to create community, but from a different mold.

2. Mark Dixon on March 7th, 2008 12:22 pm

I think Jonathan’s right. You’re developing a community, your focus is just more on hearts and minds than streets and buildings. But it takes both. Stick with what you know and you’ll do fine. Just don’t dis the Jesus People again. :)

3. Michael Cline on March 7th, 2008 5:01 pm

Is this panel going to take place after Claiborne speaks? I saw he was coming on the Bethel website yesterday. I’ll be the guy making goofy faces at you while you try to hold your own. :)

4. Mark Van Steenwyk on March 7th, 2008 5:26 pm

Yep. He’s going to speak for about a half hour or so, and the rest of it will be panel discussion followed by Q&A.

5. Marking Time on March 9th, 2008 10:04 am

Clearly you are a BIG TOOL in the hands of God, anyway, Mark. So get used to it, and relax…

Mark N

6. Kevin D. Hendricks on March 11th, 2008 6:24 pm

Really enjoyed the panel discussion, Mark. Thanks for sharing.