“C’mon!” (said in the voice of GOB from Arrested Development)

Written by Mark Van Steenwyk : July 31, 2006

I tend to stay out of partisan politics. And while extreme-edge conservatives scare me because of their selfishness and cold-heartedness, the extreme-edge liberals befuddle me because of their inability to see reality:

This article from Christianity Today shows just how stupid some folks can be. Here’s a snippet:

In his book, Griffin argues the Bush administration planned the events of September 11 so they could provide justification for going to war with Afghanistan and Iraq. He writes that although Christianity began as a specifically anti-empire gospel, the church has been silent about an imperialistic America-which he compares to the Roman Empire.

“I became more convinced that if the truth about 9/11 was going to be exposed, the churches were probably going to have to be involved,” Griffin told CT. “If we become convinced that the so-called war on terror is simply a pretext for enlarging the American empire, we have every reason as Christians to try and expose the truth behind 9/11.”

Westminster John Knox (WJK) officials said they published Griffin because of the questions that he raised in his previous books, The New Pearl Harbor: Disturbing Questions About the Bush Administration and 9/11, and The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions And Distortions.

“We have a long tradition of being a publisher of somewhat progressive stances on theological and social issues, so it is not out of character for us to do this,” said Jack Keller, vice president of publishing at WJK. “Whether or not people were fully persuaded by the arguments, he was certainly raising some interesting issues.”

C’mon! (Said in the voice of GOB) Does can anyone seriously believe that the U.S. Government actually PLANNED 9/11?! I think the United States Empire is definitely an Empire in the tradition of Rome, and is most certainly broken and corrupt as nations have a tendency to be. But this sort of extremism makes the Church look every bit as bad as Pat Robertson does.

Comments

8 Responses to ““C’mon!” (said in the voice of GOB from Arrested Development)”

1. RAB on July 31st, 2006 9:01 pm

I agree. Too much conspiracy thinking for me. However, I do believe that our current foreign affairs is way off base and imperialistic. I think it is about time, especially with recent events, that the church and its people get involved. The last time our nation faced such a moral crisis of this proportion was the 60’s and 70’s. We are killing way too many innocent people and I do believe God will hold each Christian citizen of this nation accountable on the judgement day.

2. Van S on July 31st, 2006 9:56 pm

RAB,

I agree…but with one small qualification: God will hold each Christian citizen of this nation for what we do in response to this nation’s policies. Since I am an anabaptist with some leanings towards Christian anarchy, I don’t think of myself really as a citizen of this nation, but more as a sojourner in this nation. I think the Church needs to take a prophetic stance in our nation.

3. RAB on August 1st, 2006 8:25 pm

Your qualification is noted. However, even Paul used his legal citizenship when need be to advance the kingdom of God. As you stated ” I think the Church needs to take a prophetic stance in our nation.” I can think of no better model of this than the late Rev. William Sloane Coffin.

4. Surly Dave on August 1st, 2006 9:22 pm

RAB: Where are we killing innocent people? Let me guess…Hmmm…Iraq! Let’s see: Saddam murdered about a 100,000 a year, often brutally. Today, 30,000-40,000 (still too many) are dying at the hands of Syrian and Iranian (Arab on Arab) insurgents. But I guess it is better that Saddam slaughter his own people while oppressing them than people die trying to gain freedom. If only we had adverted or gaze and remained ignorant! When it comes to God’s judgement, perhaps He will ask, “Why didn’t you try to help them?”

5. Van S on August 2nd, 2006 10:40 am

Dave,

No one would disagree that innocent people die in war. Whether the US likes it or not, innocent people die because of our military efforts. But that is what nations do: secure themeselves and make decisions–including military decisions–that will help their nation prosper. But the way the Church prospers and exerts influence over the world is different. We take up the cross. As absurd as it may sound, I would rather have 10,000 American Christians go over to Iraq to proclaim the love of Christ and be martyred than I would have a Christian soldier kill anyone in the name of freedom, no matter how noble th cause.

I realize that my pacifist views are unrealistic…but so is Christ’s view of reality in the Sermon on the Mount.

6. RAB on August 2nd, 2006 9:36 pm

Surly,

Actually, Iraq hadn’t even entered my mind.

I like what Senator McCain said about the use of torture by our government. Being a former POW, he basically said that ‘we know what kind of people they are (the enemy), but this issue is about who we are.’

I believe Christ has called me to be in this world and to get my hands and clothes dirty while loving my nieghbor as myself.

I can do nothing but support our troops at home and in the field. As a citizen that is my responsibility. However, I can voice my opposition to the leaders in Washington that are making decisions that affect those troops on the field.

That was my point. There is no room for apathy in the current state of world affairs.

7. Surly Dave on August 3rd, 2006 7:46 pm

Ya know, I have to apologize to RAB for being so knee-jerk on the Iraq/pacifism/peace thing. I deal with people who take that side of the issue for the wrong reasons daily and I, err, blew up. My humble apologies.

I really appreciate your statement, “I believe Christ has called me to be in this world and to get my hands and clothes dirty while loving my neighbor as myself.” I will quote you some time soon, but not give you any credit!:)

Mark: We will probably never see eye to eye on the pacifism/political stuff, but still count you as one of my best friends. We need to schedule a “Town Hall” meeting soon.

8. RAB on August 3rd, 2006 8:35 pm

Surly,

Not a problem. I spent two years wearing my fathers air force fatigues at a pacifist college. I could never figure those people out. I also carried a photo of Fidel Castro in my wallet given to me by Radio Havana Cuba … but thats a whole different story. If you want the details, I am sure the CIA have a file on it since my name and city was broadcasted by the radio station all over the Americas.